Well, the last few days have been interesting.  Friday, we headed out.  We had to leave early, and I reminded David that it *always* takes us an hour to get going.  Always.  Without fail.  Usually, he forgets that and gets flustered.  This time he remembered, and it took a bit longer because we forgot dog stuff.  Like collars and food bowls.  Oops!  On the trip home, I went to get out of the car to help and stepped right on ice.  I don’t think I’ve ever fallen so quickly!  Boom!  Flat on my back.  I think I spent the rest of the day in shock (and pain…sigh).

So, we got our load, which David Tetrisized within an inch of his life.  No one thought it was possible to get two sedans and two big pick-ups in our trailer, but he did it!  And we got started.  We got as far as Indianapolis Friday night.  I was asleep early, recovering from my fall, so didn’t notice the weather.  Saturday I started the day driving and along about the middle of Illinois noticed that ALL the trees were coated in ice.  Fortunately, they have good road service in Illinois, so the roads were relatively dry.  There were some places of hardpack snow, but mostly dry and clear. This was my first winter driving in the big truck.   I saw at least three dozen cars in the median and in ditches, and six big rigs.  Travel slowed to a stop at one point while all the Lookie Lous slowed down to see the first two big rigs, which had gone into the median together.  I only took this picture because I was stopped.

two trucks


icy trees

It was icy for over 100 miles.  Pretty, but crazy.  We got into Missouri and I was done for the day, just a few miles short of the 400 miles I was aiming for.  The truck stop was frozen, encased in 1/2″ of ice, and the fuel pumps weren’t working.  Other drivers told David the road (I55) was closed just 5 miles down.

ice truck


ice bud

So, we took the fabled “Back Way” and headed off through the country.  The roads were like washboards of ice.  Traffic was practically non-existent, and David swears he can drive forever on ice as long as there are no other people to worry about.  It still took us 8 hours to get 300 miles, and we stopped in Arkansas for the night.   According to the weather folks, this is what the storm looked like…



Where the word “worst” is – that was our path.  We got off I55 and angled down to Little Rock.  Icky icky icky.  And I’m glad I slept, sorta, through it.






This was the morning view in Arkansas.  I’m pretty sure there were eight of them.  I’m saying there were eight.  So there.  🙂



I caught them leaving, as well.  There was one little buck trying to head butt all the others.  He reminded me of Tucker.  The roads were dry and clear and the temp just at 32.  We didn’t know what exactly to expect, though, so David drove.



I knit (Madeline Tosh Sock in Robin’s Nest, if you’re interested, and I’m knitting this).  And took lots of pictures that didn’t turn out really great because it was so very overcast all day long.

We were a few hours late for our delivery, which wasn’t bad considering the ice storm. The other driver going to the same place with 4 big pick-ups took another route and got shut down and didn’t deliver til the next day.  Evidently they are still cleaning up the havoc caused by the storm in dispatch today.    We had another delivery to make, so we did the team driving thing.  I started off from Comfort, TX, and drove a few hours while David caught some sleep.  He took over and drove til 4 a.m. local time (about 6 hours), and I got up in Las Cruces, NM, and took over.  This was my first time driving at night.  I do fine in the wee hours after some sleep, but those later night hours are rough.

az am

This is somewhere in New Mexico.  The light’s just lovely there as the sun comes up.



Arizona, later in the day.  We reached our second delivery, still a few hours late, but there.  Now we’re holed up in a hotel for a couple days, which is fine by me.  That was a pretty exhausting run.  And this time I brought my bathing suit!

Here are a couple pictures where I’m trying to get some Christmas spirit in the truck.

truck lights


I brought a string of lights.  Lights always make me feel Christmas-y.

cmas tucker


I also have this wee Santa hat with me.  Tucker still likes hanging out in laps.

And because I have Tucker, I must put Phoebe on the blog.



The lighting back in the bunk is nice and dramatic when the sun’s out full.  It comes in just one patch, leaving everything else relatively dark.  So I take advantage of it from time to time.  I’ve been enjoying my new camera.